2. Promoter Profile
|Education||High school education in farming|
Farm description BEFORE succession
The predecessor (father) owned the farm since the year 1960s. The farm was based on cattle breeding since the beginning until the farm succession, in 1997, when it was converted to annual crops, horticulture and permanent crops. In the last years it was decided an investment in photovoltaic panels to make farming environmentally and economically more sustainable. The impact of specialized multi-crops production, modernization through new agricultural machines and bioenergy plants was very positive for the farm balance.
Farm description AFTER succession
After the succession farm was converted from cattle breeding into specialized annual crops, horticulture and permanent crops. A positive turn was the implementation with photovoltaic energy improving farm accounts and sustainability.
4. Succession Process
- There was no specific threat as the succession was agreed with the father predecessor and also the farm conversion was shared and agreed.
- The main challenge was the farm change and investments in new equipments and technologies, but the positive results obtained encouraged the successor to continue on the new way.
- In depth knowledge of the measure favourable to young farmers, first instalment and farm improvement business plan also with support and training provided from the farmers’ association.
- In depth knowledge on agricultural machinery and photovoltaic energy also with advice from the farmers’ association.
- Business planning competence improved from the project idea up to the realization step-by- step.
Vincenzo Netti Advice
5. Considerations, skills/competences and queries/questions
Skills/Competences especially relevant for the succession process
- In this case also with open discussion within the family has been fundamental to start up the renewed company.
- The farm, as based on several and different annual and permanent crops, makes very important timing in managing all agricultural practices, as well as maintenance of machines and equipments.
- Economic skills to follow up the business plan are also important to cope with financial and marketing tasks.
- Entrepreneurial skills, particularly oriented to sale and branding abilities, especially sales and branding are fundamental to manage successfully a diversified farm.
- A good starting point, such as leaderhip, competence and family support, can make the difference for a young farmer.
- Is there a reasonable and effective way to share traditional farm heritage and innovation?